Not only is sexual harassment usually devastating to victims, but a sexually hostile work environment can be very costly to employers that do not handle the complaints in a proper manner and that fail to put a stop to the harassment.
These top 5 sexual harassment lawsuits from 2012 cost each of their organizations more than $1 million, and the largest sexual harassment lawsuit judgment cost the defendant employer a whopping $168 million.
- A jury decided that Sacramento-based Mercy General Hospital will pay $168 million to a former employee who was subjected to sexual harassment and a hostile work environment.
- Aaron’s Inc agreed to pay $6 million to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit that was filed by an ex-employee at the retail chain’s Fairview Heights, Illinois store.
- D.C. Department of Parks and Recreation was ordered to pay $3.5 million in a sexual harassment lawsuit judgment after a jury found that a life guard at the Takoma Aquatic Center was sexually harassed by her boss.
- A sexual harassment lawsuit ended up costing Qwest Communications $2.3 million after a jury agreed that a former employee at the Qwest office in San Francisco was subjected to sexual harassment by her supervisor.
- Fry’s Electronics agreed to pay $2.3 million to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit that was filed by an employee at the Fry’s store in Seattle.