Hostile work environment and harassment lawsuits, in addition to significantly damaging an organization’s employee engagement levels and competitiveness, can also be a huge drain on an organization’s finances.
In 2012, hostile work environment and harassment lawsuits have cost five companies over $215 million in lawsuit settlement payments and judgments for monetary damages, which is equivalent to an average of $43 million per company.
Here are the 5 largest hostile work environment and harassment lawsuit settlements and judgments from 2012:
- Mercy General Hospital (Sacramento, CA) will pay $168 million in a sexual harassment lawsuit judgment.
- ArcelorMittal (Buffalo, NY) will pay $25 million in a racial harassment and discrimination lawsuit judgment.
- YRC/Yellow Transportation (Chicago Ridge, IL) will pay $11 million to settle an EEOC race harassment and discrimination lawsuit.
- Aaron’s Inc (Fairview Heights, IL) will pay $6 million to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit.
- Sears (Sacramento, CA) will pay $5.2 million in a racial harassment and retaliation lawsuit judgment.